The Lorne Scots are celebrating their 150th anniversary with the unveiling of a monument in Gage Park that commemorates the Regiment’s founding in 1866. The ceremony marked a milestone that is held dear and special to military families across Brampton. The unveiling was presided by their Colonel-in-Chief, His Royal Highness, Prince Edward, The Duke of Kent.
The monument, located near the entrance to Gage Park, is inspired by the Vimy Memorial in France, and features three columns; The left column represents “Duty”, the right column signifies “Honour”, while the space between the two stones represents “Sacrifice”.
The Regimental cap badge is supported by the columns which display the Battle Honours of the Regiment. A dedication at the base is adorned with badges and symbols of the Regiment.
In his remarks to the assembly, The Duke of Kent expressed his appreciation for the sacrifices made by the Lorne Scots over their many years of service to Canada, saying, “The monument represents the footprint in the community that the Regiment has had here since 1866; It will always be a reminder of the contributions the Regiment has made preserving world peace, and that it will continue to make in the years ahead”.
During his speech, the Duke of Kent also pointed to new Battle Honours that have been bestowed upon the Regiment, including for Afghanistan, and for the War of 1812, a honour in which the Regiment has “finally gained recognition”.
While the War of 1812 took place more than fifty years before the formation of the Regiment, Master Corporal Chris Banks of the Lorne Scots explains that settlers in this area “formed into groups and were the first take up arms to defend their homeland, joining with the British and Canadian militias.” According to Corporal Banks, “These Battle Honours celebrate the honour and tradition of people in this area; It recognizes the patriotism of local Brampton residents over the last two hundred years.”
Monuments commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the Lorne Scots were also unveiled in Oakville and Georgetown, and a Trooping of the Colours ceremony was held in Brampton, attended by hundreds of Reservists and members of the public, with the Duke of Kent, as the Regiment’s Colonel-in-Chief, taking the salute.
The Lorne Scots Regiment is one of Canada’s oldest military units. They maintain three Armouries including the Canadian Forces Armoury, which is located on Chapel Street in Downtown Brampton.
Its members are Reservists who hold full time jobs, attend schools, and support families throughout the communities of Peel, Dufferin & Halton. They train part-time to be ready to respond to the defense needs of Canada.
The Lorne Scots Regiment badge cap bears the motto “Air son ar duthchais” in Scottish Gaelic, which reads “For our heritage”.
To learn more about the Lorne Scots Regiment and their history, you can visit the Peel Art Gallery Museum & Archives until January 15th to see the exhibit “Service and Remembrance: 150 Years of the Lorne Scots Regiment”. For more information, click here.
You can also find more information about the Lorne Scots Regiment on their website.